An inconstant record...

...of my itinerant travels through space and time.

1.29.2006

Tigres y Dragónes y Osos (Oh My!)

Today I woke early to meet José, the Chilean yoga instructor, and my housemate Kaia for a short day trip to Tigre, a small city at the end of the commuter rail line that is the gateway to the Paraná River delta. Hordes of porteños who for whatever reason - time, money - can't make it to resorts further from the city crowd Tigre on summer weekends with picnic gear to enjoy amusements and the water in one way or another. Like a poorer, South American version of Venice, mixed with the amusement park vibe of Coney Island. Tigre is full of canals and water taxis that take you up and down the various tributaries to vacation homes, campgrounds, low-budget riverside resorts, and a few private clubs like the snobby, hundred-year-old Buenos Aires Rowing Club and Buenos Aires Yacht Club. We took a short river cruise, and poked around for a while in town...

Afterwards, upon disembarking from the train in the Belgrano neighborhood, we stumbled across the Chinese New Year parade, where I learned that "dragon" in Español is "dragón." How cool is that?

All I need now is a run-in with a bear before bedtime tonight and I will have completed the famed Wizard of Oz hat-trick: tigers and dragons and bears, oh my! ...not sure where I'm gonna find one at this hour on a Sunday... If only this were San Francisco, I could just hit up the Castro and find a big friendly bear in no time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to be too picky here, but wasn't the Wizard of Oz hatrick: "Lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my!?" I do admit that dragons definitely sounds cooler, though.

-J