American empire, if that's what you want to call it (I do) is a fascinating thing. Of course, there's the fierce military power projected around the globe, and the largest supercharged consumer economy the world has ever known. Hollywood, too, has a powerful grip on the imaginations of the world's movie-going and television-watching masses. But artsy, underground cinema from the Global South? Say it isn't so!
Last night I went to MALBA, the modern art museum, for a free short film screening, expecting a taste of independent Argentine cinema, and perhaps an interesting cultural experience. What do artists in Argentina want to communicate through film? What stories do they want to tell? Wouldn't it be cool to find out!
But as the film began, I had an uncanny sense of familiarity with the scene unfolding on the screen before me. Is that -- no, couldn't be... wait, it is! -- the Manhatttan Bridge and the rooftops of Brooklyn? A NYC taxicab? The streets of the East Village? Turns out the independent Argentine filmmaker got his degree from the Tisch School at NYU. All the dialogue was in English, and the characters and story were echt NYC. The film basically felt like a nicely-made Wesleyan senior thesis project, but screened at the leading contemporary arts museum in Argentina instead of the campus auditorium in Middletown, CT.
What does it mean that an independent Argentine filmmaker chooses to portray a story not from his own culture, but from mine? Is the simple fact that the director is a native of Argentina reason enough for a major cultural institution here to so prominently feature his work, despite its explicit lack of any national or regional context, content, or meaning? I guess so.
In a way it's perversely enjoyable to feel like my (soon to be) hometown is universally acknowledged as the undisputed center of the universe, but COME ON... I didn't come all the way to South America to bask in the glory of my own country's sick magnetism and global allure. For that, I'm planning on spending the next three years living right there, in the belly of the beast. Maybe it's time to get out of slick Buenos Aires and off into the Bolivian Altiplano, where somehow I figure there's bound to be a bit less high class cultural detritus floating around.
Ah, to be an American traveler at the height of our Imperial folly!
1.27.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh how quickly you forget, dear brother! Is your memory truly so fickle as to allow you to forget the pain that you suffered alongside you beloved siblings just two months prior? Do you not recall descending into the depths of that seemingly serene subterranean theatre at the Barcelona modern art museum? I have but three words for you my friend:
"DETRAS DEL MAR!"
Just consider yourself lucky that the film had any dialogue whatsoever, regardless of the English spoken. I hear you griping from afar, but I find it hard to believe the experience was anywhere close to as painful as watching the above-mentioned jewel of independent Peruvian cinema! (For those of you unfamiliar with the issues of my tirade, "Detras Del Mar" were the only three words in the entire film, and they were only the unspoken title sequence, albeit they were graciously subtitled in English for the international folk).
That being said, I'm glad to hear that your biggest complaint to date is about seeing an Americanized indy film at MALBA. Well, that and the sandle thing. I really think you need to invest in a quality pair, as you seem to have this recurring problem (think duct tape and Bali). Anyhow, just wanted to give a quick shout out. I'm glad all is well.
Much love,
J
Yeah, Dan, I agree with your brother. You always resented it when Lindsay rented those black&white movies anyway :)
From the center of the beast,
- Ben
i happened across your blog randomly, and i have to ask: did you go to wesleyan??
ben,
whatever. you know i secretly loved it when orli and lindsay rented those art films!
anonymous,
yes, i did go to wesleyan. did you? the more important question, though, is HOW on earth did you "randomly happen across" my blog?
curiously yours,
dan
Post a Comment