Well, I'm a-goin' where that smoggy air don't blowww...After nearly a week in Santiago, I depart first thing tomorrow morning for the other side of the Andes... lovely Mendoza, Argentina. I've definitely enjoyed my time here, but I think my lungs will thank me for getting the hell out of this pollution soup.
Highlights include: the best hostel I've stayed in yet, with minimal rowdiness but plenty of good political conversation and a nice beer garden; an enlightening discussion -- about the Danish cartoon controversy and whether there should be limits to free speech -- with two surfing hipster Danish law students doing a semester exchange at U. Chile; and perhaps above all, being treated to dinner and 2 bottles of wine by a professor of oenology at the university, who spent 4 hours answering my questions about grapes, winemaking, chemistry, culture, and global trade policy.
OK, am off to go see Heath Ledger accept his Oscar. More photos and observations coming up next... stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment