Huacachina is a town defined by water. An underground spring wells up amid towering 600 foot sand dunes, and life takes it from there: vegetation, shade, flowers, bugs, bats, birds, and people are all made possible here by the presence of just a bit of H2O. Amazing! And it really felt like what an "oasis" should feel like, in every sense of the word. Comfortable, tranquil, alive... a beautiful and welcome contrast to the hot sandy nothingness of desert surrounding you on all sides.
I intended to spend 1 night but ended up staying three. Mostly I lounged by the pool, ate ceviche for lunches, drank beer, explored the dunes at sunset, and tried my hand at sandboarding, which now makes me feel like I'll be rocking the snowy version this winter without so much trouble. (One key difference between the two modes of recreation: when snow gets down your pants, it melts. Not so much with sand...)
Like lounging by a beautiful swimming pool in the midst of an already too-beautiful desert oasis, my 3 days in Huacachina felt indulgent and ridiculous, as though I was on vacation from, um... my vacation. With just 8 days to go in Peru, though, it was worth it... I'll be back home and stuck in the NYU Law Library before you can say "oasis."
No comments:
Post a Comment