This might be TMI, but whatever, I don't even know for sure that anyone's reading this blog anymore, so here goes... When you're traveling, and you only brought a pair of black leather boots and then bought some 1/2-size-too-small Argentine Chuck Taylor knockoffs that hurt your feet when you walk in them too much, what ends up happening after 4 months of pretty much just wearing the boots (all day, every day) is that the boots smell... bad. If for no other reason than having a wider selection of footwear to choose from, I'm getting excited to come home! But that's not the only reason to look forward to my rapidly-approaching return... I'm finding that my excitement about coming back is increasing exponentially in inverse proportion to the number of days I have left on my journey. My brother could probably graph this, but for me I mostly just know that I'm stoked to get back. Not that a month in Peru isn't gonna rock, but still, today I've got 33 days left and despite "living in the moment" and whatnot, I'm thrilled to be planning to see so many of my friends in June and July and August before taking the NYU plunge and not coming up for air again until Xmas. Beers at Zeitgeist, bike rides to the OB for sunset, naps and frisbee in Central Park, island-hopping in Maine, wedding festivities in Puget Sound, etc, etc... Good stuff.
And last but not least: tattoos. I'm not really serious about getting one done here in LP at those ubiquitous sidewalk stands (see photo above) where a dude with a sketchy-looking briefcase, presumably filled with needles and ink and other tools of the trade, sits in the sun waiting for customers (although I haven't seen a single patron at a single Bolivian tattoo "parlor" yet, which I guess is saying something.) I am, however, quite seriously considering getting one when I'm back in SF in July. Thoughts? Objections? Words of encouragment?
4 comments:
a tattoo? really dan? just imagine being one of those old sketchy men with a wrinkled tattoo...i guess it's all about placement and what you decide to get, but unless its ultra-badass, i object.
Just remember....Angelina won't want your tattoo forever----and the blue laser that you'll have to endure to remove hers really hurts!!!
...by the way----we'd appreciate it if you leave those boots behind---I know you'll have to wear something, but I'll bring you fresh shoes if you promise to leave the boots on the plane when you land----no never mind, some jackass who works for George Shrub will arrest you if you leave shoes on a plane!
dan-
i read your blog. not daily, but when i need my vicarious adventure fix. no worries and thank you.
tattoo... it all depends. i think it can be a powerful experience, like getting married. you commit yourself to an image and that image will be your companion forever. for better or worse.
it can be really good. my friend josh copus has a tree on the lateral side of his shoulder and he can't wait to see it wrinkly and withered with age.
n.r. has a tattoo that blends his ultimate team's mascot with the lorenz attractor, a mathematical diagram that describe the chaotic movement of molecules. his team won nationals his sr year and he wrote his comps on chaos theory, so the tattoo evokes a special time in his life.
i think your tattoo would be amazing and i would love to hear how you're thinking/planning it.
jojo.
Post a Comment