After a 6 hour bus ride - 3 of which were spent passing over the Argentine and Chilean borders - I arrived yesterday in Villarrica, where I was met by Aaron, his wife Michelle, and their incredibly cute and precocious 4 year old daughter Talia at the bus station. Their house is 10 minutes out of town in a beautiful valley with an unobstructed view of Chile's most active volcano out my very own bedroom window. Last night I woke up at 4 AM and, like a dream, watched as the sky glowed orange above the volcano's peak, and the lava or magma or whatever pulsed and got brighter and dimmer in the night. It's nice here, and mostly I'm spending time talking to Aaron about forests and forest protection and campaign strategy and playing with Talia. Also, I'm trying to detect the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between Chileans and Argentines and keep an open mind. Also, there are 539 Chilean pesos to the dollar, so a lot of my headspace is being occupied with confusing arithmetic: a cup of coffee costs 1900 pesos, and a bottle of wine is 2795... wish my brother was here to help!
2.17.2006
Chile: El Volcán
After a 6 hour bus ride - 3 of which were spent passing over the Argentine and Chilean borders - I arrived yesterday in Villarrica, where I was met by Aaron, his wife Michelle, and their incredibly cute and precocious 4 year old daughter Talia at the bus station. Their house is 10 minutes out of town in a beautiful valley with an unobstructed view of Chile's most active volcano out my very own bedroom window. Last night I woke up at 4 AM and, like a dream, watched as the sky glowed orange above the volcano's peak, and the lava or magma or whatever pulsed and got brighter and dimmer in the night. It's nice here, and mostly I'm spending time talking to Aaron about forests and forest protection and campaign strategy and playing with Talia. Also, I'm trying to detect the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between Chileans and Argentines and keep an open mind. Also, there are 539 Chilean pesos to the dollar, so a lot of my headspace is being occupied with confusing arithmetic: a cup of coffee costs 1900 pesos, and a bottle of wine is 2795... wish my brother was here to help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Believe me, I too wish I was there more than you know.
Sounds like some good times. Be sure to give Aaron a hearty hello for me.
will do brant... and josh, yes, wish you were here too. off to puerto montt in the morning - will post again soonish.
love,
dan
Post a Comment